I went to the Doctor yesterday and because it was my 37 week appointment, I requested that he do a pelvic exam. I needed to know if the contractions I've been feeling the past week were really doing something yet or not. (ease my mind either way!) :) Well, he checked, and said I'm already dilated a little over 1 cm and am effacing as well! Yay!! So, I'll go in next week for my 38 week appointment, and then he said that if I WANTED to I can set up a time on the 13th, 14th, or 15th to be started---if the baby hasn't just come by then anyway.
I'm thrilled! :) I'm not afraid of inducing because I'm all for an epidural and pain killers! AND inducing when you are ready (just need a jump start) is a whole different thing than inducing when you haven't even started dilating or effacing yet. (although...Kamryn came earlier on her own...I'm kinda expecting I won't even have the chance to choose to be induced or not) :)
SO--I was looking back at what happened at this time with Kamryn. And according to my journal entries:
37 weeks-I was 1.5 cm dilated and he was talking about inducing a week early if she hadn't come by then. (sound familiar?!!) :)
38 weeks-I was 4 cm --Kamryn was posterior however so labor hadn't actually begun yet. Dr. Judd tried to turn her, but was unsuccessful. However, it helped to start contractions and I had her 2 days later.
Interesting how this little guy is kinda in the same predicament! However, as far as I know, he is facing the correct way so he could potentially start my body into labor even earlier! :) Hmm...baby this weekend.... ??? :) We'll see! :)
8 comments:
I'm so happy that you are progressing. Ahhhh!
yay for some progression!
i don't want to sound like i am a know-it-all, because i'm not, but do make sure that you REALLY know the risks of induction. it doesn't matter whether or not you want an epidural, you can still get that if your baby comes on his own schedule - but there are a lot of risks to induction. each day he is in there (even if he is "over due") is important. his brain will almost double in size from now until 40 weeks...imagine taking some of that precious growing time away from him?
whether or not you do decide to induce, i just want you to make an informed decision rather than just doing it because you feel like he's ready. there is a lot of good that comes with waiting. you have a HUGE increased risk of having to have a c-section with induction (which has a lot of cons obviously, one being that it can limit your ability to have several more children), your baby's lungs could be under developed, he could have problems nursing, etc. just to name a few.
this article does a great job explaining the benefits of waiting for labor to start - it talks about what the baby goes through, etc.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595289/
hang in there...you look beautiful!! and i can't wait to see the precious little boy!
I was induced all THREE times and it was all good. Ryanna was two weeks late, Dawson was right on time and Carter was 2 days early. I honestly don't think that Ryanna would have even been born had I not been induced!! I was NEVER at risk for a C-Section, don't let that scare you. You do it, girl. You know what's best for YOU! <3 You're a good Mom. Do what's best for you.
I'll be the tie-breaker. lol. I just think it should be a prayerful decision, not a convenience one. But I know that you and Ryan are prayerful people, and so I don't really know why I'm even mentioning this. :)
I'm very excited for you. Good luck and I hope that everything goes well for you.
Kamryn came without being induced and I think this little guy will also show up on his own before you even have to worry about induction! You are already at 1cm and effacing so nature is getting both of you ready. You are lucky, your body seems to get going on it's own...mine hardly ever did and I am happy you didn't get my genes in this area! My best birth experience was Ryan (who wasn't induced and wasn't posterior!) I am praying that he will come when both of you are ready! Love, Mom
Sounds like this little guy is getting ready to join your family. Glad that things are progressing as they should be. So excited and happy for you. I echo your mom's experience...my best birth was Ashley who came on her own, 3 hours from first contraction to first cry, not induced and not posterior. :) Glad that you are in capable hands with your doctor who knows how to advise you best according to your own body. These things have a way with working out no matter how we plan them, anyway, right?! Can't wait to see your little prince!
Oh man Im now jealous. Im four days over...I know I wanted him late but I am so ready now! Maybe we can meet and my body can get some of your body's readiness vibes???
Post a Comment