Monday, April 26, 2010

First week of life

JAUNDICE, EATING, DOCTORS, ETC.
Kyler was at risk for Jaundice after he was born.  We (Ryan) took him to the hospital 3 different mornings to get his heel poked and blood drawn to test his biliruben levels. 

Before we were discharged from the hospital, one of the pediatricians told me Kyler "wasn't eating enough" and "we're worried your milk won't come in if you don't try to breastfeed more often than you are".  I was so frustrated because I thought things had been going well and I was trying to breastfeed at least every 3 or 4 hours.  How much more did he want?!  I also was a little frustrated because I knew Kyler wasn't as good of an eater as Kamryn was right from the start, and I wanted to avoid a breast infection this time AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!! 

So--I started setting my alarm on my phone every 2 hours -- night or day-- and made Kyler eat whatever he could!  I was exhausted and emotional and overwhelmed and within a few days I felt like it was all a lost cause.  Kyler wasn't eating more, I wasn't "emptying" with each feeding, Kyler was looking more and more yellow to me...etc. But then a miracle happened!  We went into the Doctor on Sunday (the 17th) (had been home since Friday) to get his circumcision checked, and they told me his biliruben levels had gone down!  I rented a breast pump from the hospital that day as well and was able to start fresh with feeding. (My pump wasn't working for some reason!--also frustrating).  Then, Tuesday, the biliruben levels had REALLY gone down! (2 whole points!)  The nurse asked if he had been under lights and I said "no".  She replied with a surprised, "Wow! That's really good! Well, he isn't at risk anymore, and you don't need to have him checked anymore!" 

I was so relieved!  All of my hard work had paid off!  Kyler and I pulled through!  I am so grateful we didn't have to do lights like we did with Kamryn.

FIRST BATH AT HOME
Kyler likes baths overall.  He whines and grunts a little more than Kamryn ever did at bath time...but not too bad overall!

All bundled up after bathtime!
I LOVE that clean newborn smell!  mmmm...
His hair was so fuzzy and fluffy after being dried off.  We tried to capture it--you can sorta see it! :)
Lots of snuggle time this week!  I loved this--Kyler was completely out and relaxed.  So cute! :)  Daddy and his boy!

MORE VISITORS!!
My sister Krista was busy all weekend while we were in the hospital, so she came to our house the day after to finally see him.
My Aunt Tami and cousin Aimee
Friend--Meghan.  (who is now expecting her 2nd baby! yay!) :)

And friend--Calli.  She lives in Germany but was visiting home for the last couple of weeks.  I was so lucky she got to be here when he was born! :)

FAMILY PICTURES
I don't have any of the pictures back yet...have to wait a few weeks.  However, it was quite the adventure!!  Kamryn was having an off day...Kyler seemed to be more awake that day than he has ever been during the day...and it was exhausting!  Thank goodness our photographer is pretty darn amazing and patient!! :)  Her name is Lisa Stewart and she does an EXCELLENT job!  
BUT I'm SO glad we got it done so soon after he was born and I know we got at least a few really good ones!  I can't wait to get them back so I can blog! :) hehe 

It is fun having a newborn again!  I'm tired...but I keep remembering how much more energy I have now than I ever had when pregnant!  I LOVE not being pregnant!! :)  Kamryn still can't get enough of him and wants to help with EVERYTHING! (click here to see Kamryn's experiences with Kyler) We are trying to savor every moment of snuggle time possible!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Awwww! I'm so excited for Thursday!!! Awesome for you to get family pics going so soon- way to be on the ball!!!!

Latissa Marie Graham, L.M.T said...

Katrina I am so worried about breastfeeding. Reading this is making me more scared. I was actually going to call you and ask for advice, cause I have so many concerns, and overall I am really apprehensive about it!! Hearing your struggles with you second baby is making me more worried!! Ahhhh I don't know what to do!!

Tami said...

I love being around you and your sweet babies. You are such a calm and peaceful mommy. Your kids know you love them and will take care of them. I know you're a little concerned about doing it all on your own when Ryan goes back to work. You'll be fabulous! You already are!

Mich said...

He's adorable! I'm glad that he didn't have to be under the lights. My sister has had to have 3 of her kids under the lights and it hasn't been much fun.

Tiffany said...

How fun! I'm glad things have improved and you don't have to worry about jaundice! Those first few days home from the hospital are rough--nursing, dealing with another child, worrying about the baby, etc. Glad to see you guys are adjusting. He sure is cute!

Adria said...

I totally understand the jaundice worry thing. I've learned though that all breastfed babies have a little jaundice-which makes sense since your milk doesn't come in for 3-4 days and colostrum is gold, but very small amounts of it. :) I'm glad that you got through it. That would be very frustrating.
We didn't actually wash Henry until after he was a week old. We just wiped him here and there. The first couple times we bathed him, one of us was in the tub with him and it calmed him. After that he loved it! I hope that Kyler learns to liek the bath more. :)

Total Pageviews