This week has been absolutely crazy...but we made it!
I'm teaching in a Special Education Preschool for the next 7 weeks. The kids are all very cute and we don't have very many kids with severe disabilities, so it really isn't too hard. It is fun! I am loving the kids already, after only 4 days! How could anyone not?!
My cooperating teacher is great as well. She graduated from USU 4 years ago, so she went through EVERYTHING I get to do this semester. When I heard that, I felt a little more relaxed! :) I get along well with her, so I'm happy.
There are a couple of things that are difficult with student teaching:
1. I miss being with Kamryn like crazy! It isn't TOO bad...but I'm just realizing more and more how much I loved being home this last semester!
2. I'm also realizing more and more that I don't know if I ever really want to teach in a special ed. classroom. I have always thought "It'll be fun to have a classroom when I do'nt have a family to worry about" but this week, for the first time, I had the thought "I don't know if I really am cut out for this...". I think I had that realization because of the adults, not the kids. Paperwork, district stuff, and all the legal issues that come about...it's all so much! The kids are wonderful...but I don't know about all the other stuff.
BUT there is one other thing that I have always had in the back of my head that I would like to do one day and that is working in/running a school for children with Autism. I have worked one on one with kids with Autism in the past 3 years and I LOVED it! I understand and love behaviorism and I have seen it change lives! SO---I think that is the direction I need to go with my education. I think I want to use my degree with Special Education and find ways to get certification and emphasis with children with Autism and Behaviorism. We'll see what happens but I was happy to make that realization this week.
Ryan and Kamryn did well this week too! Ryan was caught a cold at the beginning of this week and has been fighting it all week...but it is getting better. Kamryn caught it, unfortunately, and has been kinda fussy for the past couple of days, but I don't think she's getting it as bad as Ryan got it.
Ryan likes being home and having more time for him and Kamryn. I think it's been quite the change in perspective on what it's like to be home more than away! But he has a great attitude about it and I know he does a good job with Kamryn. Having him home more makes me more comfortable while I'm gone.
5 comments:
Sounds like things are working out really well. It's great to recognize where your true talents and interests lie so you can focus on it...glad that you're able to have experiences to help you discover what your next step should be in that area of your life. Good job. I just smile when I think of Ryan and Kamryn home together, enjoying each other and that special bond they have. Good luck with the teaching. Aimee says the same thing about her classroom...so much paperwork and dealing with parents. Not fun. I take my hat off to you, her, and all teachers who are willing to spend all day with other people's kids! You guys are amazing!! Hi to Ryan and kisses to Kamryn :)
I was NOT going to teach after I was done with student teaching!! There was NO WAY that anyone was going to make me do it!! But, look what happened! ;) The paper work and adults are not fun at first, but after you get into the swing of things, you feel pretty cool to be a "working woman". I think that you will do well with whatever you choose...and the kids sure make it worth it!! I miss my class very much!! Good luck with the rest of the semester!
Good Luck with the rest of it! Congrats on being so close!!!
Sounds like it has been a great first week- crazy as it was! I'm glad that you're able to get a feel for what direction you think you should take with your degree! Good luck with the student teaching! Can't wait to hear more!
Just wondering how week two went!
Post a Comment