Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday thought--Living in the Present


We had a lot of good messages given in our ward today. Messages that made me think a little bit--stand back and look at my life and what I can do better and what I should be doing to fulfill the calling that the Lord has given me as His daughter.

Sacrament meeting was all about Service and how important it is to follow this commandment. We have the responsibility as children of God, to care for one another and to lift eachother's burdens. We have the added responsibility as members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, to teach others and bring the message of the gospel to our neighbors, family, and friends.

Then in Relief Society we talked about the 2nd coming and the signs of the last days. One thing that struck me was when our teacher asked: "Why do we have signs? Why does the Lord give us signs of what is to come? He doesn't HAVE to." My first thought was, "The signs are supposed to bring peace and comfort to us in troubled times and to give us knowledge to prepare ourselves for things to come." But then as the lesson continued, I also had the realization that we don't have the signs only for ourselves, but we need to spread the news with others. We need to show others around us who live in fear with troubled times, that we can live peacefully because of the Savior. We need to show those around us that we can still be happy, despite hardships that come. And we need to proclaim that at the end of all the trouble and peril, there will be a glorious finish when the Savior will come!

Then I read this quote from President Monson today:
"The past is behind--we must learn from it.
The future is ahead-we must prepare for it.
The present is now-we must live in it."

I think it is easy to get caught up in "I wish..." for things in the future or guilt from the past. It is also easy to wish you were still younger (past) or fear for things ahead.

But life isn't about past and future. It is about now! It is about today! Everything Christ asks us to do is right now. It isn't tomorrow. It isn't yesterday. It is today.

We are asked to love one another.... today!
We are asked to serve eachother ... today!
We are asked to have Family home evening and family prayer and scripture study ... today!
We are asked to attend the temple ... today!
We are asked to be kind to others ... today!
We are asked to pray ... today!
Be an example ... today!

What am I going to do today??!

Our stake has a challenge going on right now...it's called 100% for 100 days.
(The 100 days before Christmas--when we celebrate Christ's birth)

The 100% is to do all of these things for 100 days:
Daily:
Personal scripture and prayer
Family scripture and prayer
Acts of service for Spouse

Weekly:
Date night with spouse
Family Home Evening
Church Attendance (In your ward)
Magnify calling

Monthly:
Attend the temple
Fast and give fast offering
Pay a full tithing
Home and Visiting Teaching

We haven't been perfect at it for the past 50 days it's been happening...but we have tried. And I have found that it is a truly inspired and wonderful program! These things really do bring happiness into our lives because it brings the spirit of Christ into our lives.

I want to strive to be that much better today at doing all the things Christ expects me to do. If I want to be closer to Him, I need to put forth the effort. He is standing there waiting...and expects me to not only come alone--but to bring others with me.

I know that these things that our Stake is encouraging us to do will bring us closer to our Savior. I know that if I am closer to Him, I can receive revelation of things He needs me to do for others I come in contact with. I have the calling to live in the present and make the most of today. What am I going to do with it?!

5 comments:

Jason & Shannon said...

I am so glad you did this post! I wasn't in relief society and It's great to get an inside thought on the message, and what went on in relief society.

Tami said...

Thanks for sharing these things. I'm inspired and plan on taking notes from your post so I can easily refer to it later. Thanks!

Ty and Tiff said...

I am glad that you posted this Katrina! We live in scary times, and a lot of people that I know have been dweling on the fact that it is only going to get "worse". I really appreciate what you said...it makes us see that there is hope for the future and if we are prepared and righteous we shall not fear!

Amanda P said...

Fantastic! Thanks for this. :) There is so much peace and joy in the gospel and the Savior - how could we not want to share that with others? Thanks, again.

Latissa Marie Graham, L.M.T said...

Wow! What an uplifting message! I needed that Katrina. Thank you

Total Pageviews